Some people find maths easy, and others find it very hard. But there’s no reason why anyone can’t do well in their IGCSE Maths exams – providing they put in some hard work that is. Maths is all about doing, you can’t simply learn things by rote, you have to practice solving problems. So have a go at some past exam papers, or try to find revision guides which have plenty of example questions.
Each exam board produces a syllabus listing exactly what you need to know to pass the exams. Some students find this useful to use as checklist of what you have revised. Make sure you check with your teacher which exam board and syllabus you are following.
Revision guides are printed books which summarise everything you need to know to do well in the exam, and are an important part of many people’s revision.
Search our database of revision guides to find the right one for you.
Attempting sample and past papers is a good way to check how your revision is going, and will allow you to become more comfortable answering exam-style questions. Links to several past papers are below, some of which can be viewed for free online. They are arranged by exam board, if you don’t know which exam board your school is using then you should ask your teacher.
As well as buying a revision guide, you can add variety to your revision using free online resources. Bear in mind that the content of some of these websites might not be as reliable or up-to-date as printed books, check that the content matches your syllabus and if in doubt ask your teacher.
- Cie: Gives a list of recommended websites from the Cambridge IGCSE exam board.
Below are sites not specifically for the IGCSE but will contain much relevant information.
- GCSE Bitesize Maths: Covers several areas, including algebra, data handling, number, and space and shape. There is also a mock exam for you to try.
- GCSE.com Maths: A reasonable selection of topics is covered, together with some practice quizes to check what you have learnt.
- GCSE Maths Tutor.com: A very detailed sites with tons of information and some downloadable revision e-books. Don’t be put off by the slightly dreary layout.
- GCSE Maths Papers: A large collection of previous maths papers available for free download. You can also pay to download worked solutions.
- Maths Revision.net: A well-layed out site with pages on almost every topic in GCSE maths. Includes a maths help forum.
- Pocket Revision:A collection of free Maths revision apps for your phone.
- Revision World: Maths